That's the way I see it

My take on some of the issues of life and my experiences - the way I see it. Warning! While always wanting to be polite - I am not concerned about being PC.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Woodland, CA, United States

I am a bit of a rennaissance man with interests varying from the ancient to the futuristic. I prefer to live in the world of ideas and ideals and love to sit around w/ friends and a mug of strong coffee and discuss things that I find interesting.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Spiritually tired & numb - often. Sure I'm not the only one.


Months ago I mused...
"Is our culture SO consuming, so materialistic, so hostile to genuine discipleship that its almost impossible to be a biblical Christian anymore? I certainly hope not -but American materialism and the American dream are powerful drugs that are SO easy to be addicted to. Most people I know are addicted to materialism in some way (they may dress it up in funny clothes to feel good about it but it is still there)."
I'm pretty convinced now that the answer is a sad "Yes." As a father of 4 with a mortgage, 2 cars, and all the normal cares of this world - I can see why the apostle Paul seems to intimate that married people are somewhat compromised in their spiritual life. Having to care for so many things is INHERENTLY distracting to the inner life in the extreme. I'm not sure I can pull it off to be honest. I used to think it would be easy. Then I found it growing increasingly difficult only to eventually find it ridiculously difficult. I'm sure some would be quick to point out how they are doing it. I used to be like that too - when I wasn't looking too deeply. How much of that "health" is just an illusion I wonder. I wonder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home